Thursday, July 14, 2016

Gerry Patterson's Art on Display at the Library



Join us for a reception and meet the artist,
at 4:00 p.m. on July 20, 2016 

Gerry Patterson

In my childhood home, my father’s paints and easels were omnipresent, and to this day the smell of oil paints reminds me of him.  After high school I attended Traphagen School of Design, but after I married and had children my art took a back seat to raising a family.  It was always a hobby, and I often did paintings for my family and friends.

When I retired, creating art became my new career. Finally, I had the opportunity to devote all my time and energy to it.  The first juried art show I entered, “Best of the Best,” was at the Beanie Backus Museum in Fort Pierce, Florida where two of my paintings were accepted, and I received an “Award of Merit” as well as the “People’s Choice Award.” 




My husband Michael and I have had a vacation home in Lansing, NC for many years, and after retiring, we decided to become year-round residents of Ashe County, although we do visit Florida a few weeks each year. 
Joining the Ashe County Arts Council, I was honored to be invited to participate in several shows.  In 2015, the juried show awarded me second place in “Best of the Blue Ridge.”
Recently we had the opportunity to open “Gerry’s Art Gallery” upstairs at the Shoppes in the Old Hotel located on Back Street. My husband works at the gallery, and I paint at home in my studio.  Painting brings me much joy but creating something that brings joy to others is even more rewarding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment