Ashe Library is gearing up for its first Read-a-thon event to take place all day in the library on July 11. Hosted by Ashe Friends of the Library, registered readers are soliciting sponsors to help raise money for our children’s book collection. There are special reading activities and hourly prizes throughout the day, including visits from special guests and local elected officials. All ages are invited to drop in and hear these celebrity readers read aloud in support of the importance of reading and our library.
Beginning at 10:30 a.m. Cabot Hamilton, Chamber Director and Commissioner Jeff Rose, also West Jefferson Chief of Police, will be reading children’s books. This promises to be a very entertaining story time, as the books picked out are sure to draw laughs from everyone. Who wouldn’t want to hear and see (if you know what I mean) Cabot read “a book with no pictures.” Trust me on this, you won’t want to miss it! Following this story time readers will begin reading “around the world in eighty minutes.” Choosing from a display of books that take place in various parts of the world, readers will choose and switch eight books every ten minutes. Beverages and refreshments will be on hand. Readers can also bring lunches and munchies to the library. Readers must keep their strength up! Arly the Library Fox plans to visit and offer his encouragement to readers as well.
Later in the day there are other noted readers scheduled to make an appearance. From 1:00 – 1:30 p.m. simultaneous read-alouds begin throughout the building. Picture books will be read for young listeners by Commissioner Larry Rhodes, Sheriff James Williams, and Library Board Chairman, Jim Tapp. For older listeners, County Manager Sam Yearick, Town Manager Brantley Price, and Clint Johnson, President of Ashe Friends of the Library, will be reading haunted and spooky tales. The day will wrap up with “audio-book coloring” and “blind date with a book.” Register now to participate and support the library, or just join us on July 11 for a full day of reading fun. This is a great way to discover new books and authors!
Dates to remember in July:
- Meet Ramona Renfroe, Director of Ashe County History Museum, and try out different types of old-time games at 10:30 a.m. on July 12.
- Creepy, crawly, sticky, prickly, bioluminescent, wiggly, yucky, but kind of cute? Discover the amzing world of bugs at 2:00 p.m. on July 14.
- Arly the Library Fox visits to share his favorite books. Join us at 11:30 a.m. on July 26 for art stories and song.
- Enjoy our Story Walk at Ashe County Park. New titles each month.
- Giant Games at 3:30 p.m. on July 13. Join us for supersized Jenga, Pac-Man, Twister and more!
- Stop in for DIY Day and make your own alcohol ink necklace using washers and glass rocks at 3:30 p.m. on July 20.
- Just Add Water at 3:30 p.m. on July 27 for water fun! Water games include ice bowling, water balloon piñatas, pass the cup, “water”melon, and much more. Come prepared to get wet!
- Geeks and Gamers meet at 4:00 p.m. every Tuesday, a type of Anime-Manga / Roleplay / teen hangout club. Refreshments are provided.
- For all your tech troubles, book and appointment with our friendly reference librarians. Call 336.846.2041 x227
- Yoga Club meets in the library’s downstairs meeting room at 5:30 p.m. on Mondays.
- Resume writing workshop is scheduled at 11:00 a.m. on July 13. Participants receive a portfolio folder and pen. Sign-up in advance by calling 336.946.2041.
- Website building workshop is scheduled at 11:00 a.m. on July 20. Learn the basics of website construction while building your own free personal website.
- Brouhaha Book Club meets at 5:30 p.m. on July 25 in Boondocks Restaurant for “Books, Beer and Bookworm Babble.” Come and find out what everyone has been reading lately!
- The Coloring “Book” Club celebrates reading (and coloring) as a group experience at 5:00 p.m. on July 26. Relax with adult coloring books while listening and discussing a different short story audiobook each month.
- The Deep Focus Film Club introduces the “Moving Portraits Series” with Raging Bull at 5:00 on July 28.
For All Ages:
- Get Crafty and learn to “Crochet Your Way Through the ABCs” at 10:00 a.m. on July 9. You can make an alligator, a bear, a cat, ...you get the idea. Project materials are provided.
- The Community Drum Circle meets at 5:30 p.m. on July 12 and 26. Join the celebration of drums, while exploring the soul and spirit of music!
- Mountain Music Slow Jam will meet from 5:30-7:00 p.m. on July 15 in the downstairs meeting room (after-hours access through side door on lower parking lot). Get together with other musicians and jam. Songs are explained as to timing, breaks, etc… and played in slow time. Designed for beginners, all skill levels are welcome.
- The Read Around the Clock Book Club meets at 7:00 p.m. on July 7 to discuss any book with the number “seven” in the title. Since this program takes place after library hours, the discussion will be held at the picnic tables behind the playground.