Literacy is the foundation for emotional and physical well-being, intellectual growth, and economic security. World Read Aloud Day (WRAD) takes place on March 5, and is a LitWorld campaign that advocates for literacy as a fundamental human right belonging to all people. LitWorld, a non-profit literacy organization, fosters resilience, hope, and joy through the power of story. In support of LitWorld’s mission and in celebration of WRAD Ashe Library invites all to stop by the library for a read aloud experience.
On March 5 start the day listening to books read aloud during Tot-time by children’s librarian Marna, and end the day with a launch party for the Spring Reading Challenge. There is a special reading challenge designed especially to promote reading aloud for those who’d like to be a volunteer reader. You might try reading your next book with your ears, so check out the library’s audio book collection. The library is also looking for readers to participate in this year’s Community Read as a “human audio book.” Reading aloud brings a story to life and stimulates the imagination. Reading aloud also increases vocabulary and comprehension skills, which is excellent for beginning readers. The library continues to register families and young children for its “Growing Book by Book” program. It is proven that reading as a family provides a great opportunity for bonding. The journey from newborn to infant to toddler to kindergarten takes approximately 5 years. The time will pass by very fast. Building strong reading skills is fundamental to preparing your child for the future. If you incorporate reading as a family, the memories your child will form will last a lifetime. Make reading as a family a daily event.
Ashe Library Dates to Remember in March:
- The Spring Reading Challenges begin March 1 and last through May 31. A party to wrap-up Winter Challenges and Kick-off Spring Challenges will take place at 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, March 5. Have fun discovering new books and authors!
- The Digital Spotlight encourages us to never stop exploring! Each Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. librarians will be available to demonstrate what the online world can do for you. Stop by our Digital Spotlight Kiosk and learn something new.
- Community Drum Circle meets at 5:30 p.m. on March 11 and 25. One need not possess or purchase a drum to participate. There are all sorts of drums and a variety of percussion instruments available to share the rhythm with everyone.
- Learn to crochet with the 2014 Afghan Project at 10:00 a.m. on March 8. Work square by square this year to create a magnificent afghan.
- Learn the knitting basics and make a little bunny at 10:00 a.m. on March 22. Materials needed: size 4 needles and one ball of soft yarn. Brown or white are suggested colors.
- Story Time for 4-5 year olds is at 10:30 a.m. every Tuesday.
- Tot Time for 2-3 year olds is at 10:30 a.m. on Wednesday and Thursday
- “Baby Bounce” is at 10:00 a.m. on March 8 and 22. This is a short 15-20 minute program for infants and babies that will include finger plays, songs, rhymes, and a book or two.
- Afternoon Adventures will “Travel South to Mexico” at 4:00 p.m. on March 13.
- Experience “Crafternoons” at 3:30 p.m. on Tuesdays. Projects include, Rainbow Bracelets, Cup Challenges, Yarn Bombs, and Fun with Foil.
- Sign up for Gamer Haven and enjoy Xbox 360 in the teen space. Half hour time slots are available at 4:00 p.m. on Thursdays.
- Enjoy a movie with friends on the Teen Screen at 2:00 p.m. on March 15.
- Geek out with Otaku’s United Anime / Manga Club at 4:30 p.m. on Tuesdays.
- Brouhaha Book Club meets at 5:30 p.m. on March 31 at Boondocks.
- Grow Yourself, self-paced computer use tutorial sessions, are held at 11:00 a.m. on Tuesdays.
- Ashe Wellness Circle meets at 11:30 on March 11 for a program on Healthy Juicing and Green Smoothies. Come out and try some tasty samples. Brown bag lunches are welcome. After the wellness program, participants are invited to join in a walk around the park and a discussion of physical wellness books. Adults of any age and fitness level welcome.
- An art reception will be held for the Blue Ridge Art Clan and Dean’s Duet’s will be performing at 2:00 p.m. on March 8.