Make 2014 the year for health and wellness! Wellness combines seven dimensions of well-being into a quality way of living. Wellness is the ability to live life to the fullest and to maximize personal potential in a variety of ways.
In January, the library debuts Ashe Wellness Circle, a new book club, designed to target seven dimensions of wellness. Stop in and pick out a book from Ashe library’s “wellness circle display” and visit monthly for discussion and program at 11:30 a.m. every second Tuesday. On January 14 the focus will be physical wellness featuring Paul Hoover, local fitness trainer, as guest speaker.
The Wellness Circle Book Club is not the usual book club where a common book is read and discussed over coffee in a sit-down setting. The books read aren’t the typical novels either, but instead participants make individual selections on books of interest (mostly non-fiction) relating to a highlighted dimension of wellness. Once a month readers meet for a mid-day program planned to accommodate working folks on their lunch hour (brown-baggers welcome). After the program, readers are encouraged to team up in pairs or small groups and walk around the park trail behind the library to share what they learned from the “healthy” book of their choice. Join in the quest for a balanced healthy lifestyle at the library. Learn and discover information on physical, intellectual, social, environmental, occupational, spiritual, and emotional wellness.
For All Ages:
- Dream Catchers: Create your own dream catcher while learning about the story behind the craft at 3:30 p.m. on January 16.
- Gluten-free Cooking: Gather facts, resources, and recipes. Not to mention taste some good gluten free food at 12:00 p.m. on January 18.
- Participate in the library’s Muffin War! Starting January 25, stop in and pick up a box of mystery ingredients to create your own original muffin recipe. Come to the library with at least ½ dozen muffins at 11:00 a.m. on January 25 and enter the Muffin War. Muffins will be judged on taste, originality and appearance.
- Story Time for 4-5 year olds is at 10:30 a.m. every Tuesday.
- Tot Time for 2-3 year olds is at 10:30 a.m. on Wednesday and Thursday
- “Baby Bounce” is at 10:00 a.m. on January 11 and 25.. This is a short 15-20 minute program for infants and babies that will include finger plays, songs, rhymes, and a book or two.
- Sign up for Gamer Haven and enjoy Xbox 360 in the teen space. Half hour time slots are available at 4:00 p.m. on Thursdays.
- Enjoy a movie with friends on the Teen Screen at 2:00 p.m. on January 4.
- Geek out with Otaku’s United Anime / Manga Club at 4:30 p.m. on Tuesdays.
- Brouhaha Book Club meets at 5:30 p.m. on January 27 at Boondocks.
- Grow Yourself, self-paced computer use tutorial sessions, are held at 11:00 a.m. on Tuesdays.
- Ashe Wellness Circle meets at 11:30 on January 14 for a program, fitness activity, and discussion of books. Adults of any age and fitness level welcome.
- Music and Art on Saturday presents Jean Moxley at 2:00 p.m. on January 11. An art reception in the reference gallery features work by Summit Training and Education Program (STEP).
- Learn to crochet with the 2014 Afghan Project at 10:00 a.m. on January 11. Work square by square this year to create a magnificent afghan.
- Learn the knitting basics and make grandmother’s favorite dishcloth at 10:00 a.m. on January 25. (Materials needed: size 7 needles and cotton yarn)