Library has a number of options to address your tax season needs.
VITA: Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
Once again the Ashe County Public Library will be hosting the VITA program at the library. If you made less than $53,000 in 2014 we encourage you to call 977-5TAX (977-5829) and make an appointment. We'll let you know what to bring and IRS fully trained Volunteers will prepare and e-file your federal and state tax return.
Do you regularly do your own taxes and enjoy filing online? Individuals or families with a combined household income of $60,000 or less in 2014 can go to www.myfreetaxes.com and file both their state and federal return online for free.
Beginning January 26, both federal and state forms can be printed for FREE in the library’s upstairs reference department.
Ashe Library Dates to Remember in February:
For All Ages:
- The Love Your Library Spotlight features swoon-worthy services from 11:00-12:00 every Thursday, at main-floor reference kiosk.
- Spread the love and make a Valentine for that special someone, all day on February 7. Supplies provided.
- Get Crafty Knit & Crochet Classes are for all skill levels from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on the second Saturday of every month. The project in February is Amish Puzzle Balls. Materials needed: scarp yarn in any color(s), knitting needles size 4 or size G crochet hook.
- Meet the Presidents at 11:00 a.m. on February 14! Listen as our founding fathers share their presidential wisdom.
- The Community Drum Circle meets at 5:30 p.m. in the library on February 10 and 24.
- Baby Bounce takes place at 10:00 a.m. on Tuesdays. This is a short 15-20 minute program for infants and babies that will include finger plays, songs, rhymes, and a book or two.
- Tot Time for 2-3 year olds is at 10:30 a.m. on Wednesdays.
- Story Time for 4-5 year olds is at 10:30 a.m. on Thursdays.
- The Lego Club meets at 4:00 p.m. for grades K-3 and 5:00 p.m. for grades 4 and up on February 19. New challenges monthly!
- Geek out with Otaku’s United Anime / Manga Club at 4:30 p.m. on Tuesdays.
- What do you want to see in your library? Join the Teen Advisory Council (TAC) at 2:00 p.m. on February 13. Share your ideas with our teen team and earn community service hours. Snacks provided.
- Celebrate Chinese New Year with a martial art lesson from the Blue Ridge Kung Fu Arnis Academy at 4:00 p.m. on February 5. Fill up on candy sushi and try your hand at origami.
- Counteract all the pink hearts and flowers with an Anti-Valentine’s Day Party place at 3:00 p.m. on February 13. Play Musical Chairs of Death, make snark hearts, speed date with your favorite book characters that have never let you down and much more!
- Brouhaha Book Club meets at 5:30 p.m. on February 23 in Boondocks.West Jefferson Centennial Book Club meets at 6:00 p.m. on February 24 in Hotel Tavern.
- Read most popular books published each decade during West Jefferson's first 100 years. February’s book is The 39 Steps by John Buchan.
- Rooted: A Centennial Celebration - Learn how to use the Slave Records and meet Sandy Lassen, the genealogist who compiled them at 11:00 a.m. on February 21.
- Tackle a mini project using a new technology tool on Mondays at the Two O’Clock Tech Talk. Mountain Music Slow Jam takes place at 5:30 p.m. on February 6 and 20 in the library’s downstairs meeting room (access through side entrance).
- Visit the Digital Spotlight Kiosk at 11:00 a.m. on Thursdays and see what the online world can do for you. Never stop exploring!
- The Ashe Wellness Circle features books related to Spiritual Wellness throughout the months January, February, and March. Check out the library’s website for a virtual shelf of available books. Stop in at 11:30 a.m. on February 9 for a practical discussion on journal writing.
- An Art Reception for Ashe librarians will open in the upstairs gallery at 4:00 p.m. on February 13.
- Connie Woolard on hammered dulcimer entertains at 2:00 p.m. on February 7.