It is such a relief when the yearly tax forms are complete! Don't wait until the last minute and stress out as the April 15 deadline draws nearer. For years, reading over instructions and filling out paperwork has been a painful process. Today, things are much easier with electronic filing, and FREE help!
The 2014 Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program is now accepting appointments. VITA provides free federal and state income tax return preparation and free electronic filing for low to moderate income families and individuals. The service site is located at the Ashe County Public Library and is now available through April 8, 2014. If your gross income last year was less than $58,000, you may be eligible for free tax preparation. Also FYI: Earned Income Tax Credit, sometimes called EIC is a tax credit to help you keep more of what you earned. It is a refundable federal income tax credit for low to moderate income working individuals and families. When EITC exceeds the amount of taxes owed, it results in a tax refund to those who claim and qualify for the credit. To qualify, you must meet certain requirements and file a tax return, even if you do not owe any tax or are not required to file. To see if you qualify, please call or visit Ashe County Public Library's VITA site to schedule your appointment. Please call (336) 977-5TAX to schedule an appointment.
The VITA program is a partnership between the Internal Revenue Service and the Ashe County Public Library. Support for the program in Ashe County has been provided by the Friends of the Ashe County Library, Carolina West Wireless and the generous assistance of our certified, volunteer tax preparers.
Ashe Library Dates to Remember in February:
For All Ages:
- The Digital Spotlight encourages us to never stop exploring! Each Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. librarians will be available to demonstrate what the online world can do for you. Stop by our Digital Spotlight Kiosk and learn something new.
- Community Drum Circle meets at 5:30 p.m. on February 11 and 25. One need not possess or purchase a drum to participate. There are all sorts of drums and a variety of percussion instruments available to share the rhythm with everyone.
- Learn to crochet with the 2014 Afghan Project at 10:00 a.m. on February 8. Work square by square this year to create a magnificent afghan.
- Learn the knitting basics and make knitted slippers at 10:00 a.m. on February 22. (Please bring size 9 circular needles, yarn is provided)
- Story Time for 4-5 year olds is at 10:30 a.m. every Tuesday.
- Tot Time for 2-3 year olds is at 10:30 a.m. on Wednesday and Thursday
- “Baby Bounce” is at 10:00 a.m. on February 8 and 22. This is a short 15-20 minute program for infants and babies that will include finger plays, songs, rhymes, and a book or two.
- Afternoon Adventures will “Travel South to Mexico” at 4:00 p.m. on February 13.
- Drop-in anytime for fun Snow Days Activities. Try computer coding on the smart board and navigate the Angry Bird Maze or build your own digital game. Stop in and help us build an igloo using equilateral triangles, visit the “creation station” and make a Lego bookmark, or take the Lego Challenge!
- Sign up for Gamer Haven and enjoy Xbox 360 in the teen space. Half hour time slots are available at 4:00 p.m. on Thursdays.
- Enjoy a movie with friends on the Teen Screen at 2:00 p.m. on February 15.
- Geek out with Otaku’s United Anime / Manga Club at 4:30 p.m. on Tuesdays.
- Design your own original ‘abstract valentines’ at 4:00 p.m. on February 13.
- Brouhaha Book Club meets at 5:30 p.m. on February 24 at Boondocks.
- Grow Yourself, self-paced computer use tutorial sessions, are held at 11:00 a.m. on Tuesdays.
- Ashe Wellness Circle meets at 11:30 on February 11 for a program on Healthy Hearts by Candy Jones, of Appalachian Regional Healthcare System. Brown bag lunches are welcome. After the wellness program, participants are invited to join in a walk around the park and a discussion of physical wellness books. Adults of any age and fitness level welcome.
- Staff art will be featured in the upstairs art gallery during the month of February.
- A Winter Olympic Party takes place at 11:00 a.m. on February 15.